Adelaide. Springfield. f Carrick Hill mansion built in 1939 in the style of an ELizabethan mansion. Built for the Haywood family. Bequeathed to the state of South Australia in 1983. The espaliered pear tree arbor.


Related Images

Adelaide House Adelaide House Fireworks - Adelaide Skyshow 2010 Adelaide. Thunderstorm and lightening over Adelaide November 2020. Adelaide St Adelaide. Torrensville Methodist Church. 1923. Now apartments. Classic Adelaide Sunset Adelaide. Torrensville Methodist Church. 1923. Adelaide, Australia HMAS Adelaide HMAS Adelaide at dock in Brisbane-01= North Adelaide. A hotel was licensed on this site in 1850. This later hotel structure was built in 1881. Millswood. Adelaide. Adelaide. Christmas lights. Adelaide. Royal Adelaide Show. Alpaca. Adelaide. Orange daylily in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens in January. Pop-eye III Adelaide. Brownhill Creek. Two butterflies consorting in the middle of the road came to a sticky end. Adelaide. Mitcham. Sign on old bakery and store in Welbourne Street Mitcham. Apartment Complex, Whitmore Square, Adelaide.


License: Creative Commons - Attribution-No Derivatives
Author: denisbin
Description:
Sir Edward Hayward- Carrick Hill. Sir Edward Hayward was the son of a draper but he married well when he wed Ursula Barr Smith from nearby Torrens Park House- now Scotch College. After schooling, Bill Hayward worked as a jackeroo, and then he purchased a pastoral property at Narrabri in NSW. He later joined the management of John Martins in Adelaide and became director of the company. He inaugurated the Christmas Pageant in 1933. In 1935 Ursula’s father, Sir Thom Barr Smith gave the couple 100 acres (40 hectares) of land at Springfield. Here they had a Jacobean style stone house designed and built with genuine 1546 oak wall panelling, stairs and windows installed from a demolition sale in England. The house was built in 1939 with beautiful gardens. Edward served with distinction during World War Two and returned to establish the Coca Cola franchise in SA. He continued to serve on the boards of John Martins, Coca Cola, Bennett and Fisher, the Bank of Adelaide and other companies until his retirement. He maintained a pastoral property near Cape Jervis until he died at Carrick Hill in 1983. He had no children and he bequeathed his Carrick Hill property and its art collection to the government of SA. The house was designed by an Adelaide architect, Sir James Irwin who also designed part of the Children’s Hospital, buildings at the University of Adelaide, General Motors headquarters at Elizabeth and the previous 1960s Advertiser building in King William Street. He did a fine job of recreating an early 1600s style stone baronial mansion for the Haywards with Tudor style brick chimneys, stone mullions in windows, interesting gables and a fine front entrance and porch. The architecture of the house is set off with beautiful gardens including an espalier pear walk.

Credit:

Select Image Size
Square 75X75 View Download
Large Square 150X150 View Download
Thumbnail 100X75 View Download
Small 240X180 View Download
Small 320 320X240 View Download
Small 400 400X300 View Download
Medium 500X375 View Download
Medium 640 640X480 View Download
Medium 800 800X600 View Download
Large 1024X768 View Download
Large 1600 1600X1200 View Download
Large 2048 2048X1536 View Download
X-Large 3K 2592X1944 View Download
Original 2592X1944 View Download