Adelaide. Urrbrae. The interior of St Pauls Catholic Church and monastery. Built in 1927. A modern stained glass window behind the altar. Built in the Romanesque style. .


Related Images

Adelaide House Adelaide House Fireworks - Adelaide Skyshow 2010 Adelaide. Thunderstorm and lightening over Adelaide November 2020. Adelaide St Adelaide. Torrensville Methodist Church. 1923. Now apartments. Classic Adelaide Sunset Adelaide. Torrensville Methodist Church. 1923. Adelaide, Australia HMAS Adelaide HMAS Adelaide at dock in Brisbane-01= North Adelaide. A hotel was licensed on this site in 1850. This later hotel structure was built in 1881. Millswood. Adelaide. Adelaide. Christmas lights. Adelaide. Royal Adelaide Show. Alpaca. Adelaide. Orange daylily in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens in January. Pop-eye III Adelaide. Brownhill Creek. Two butterflies consorting in the middle of the road came to a sticky end. Adelaide. Mitcham. Sign on old bakery and store in Welbourne Street Mitcham. Apartment Complex, Whitmore Square, Adelaide.


License: Creative Commons - Attribution-No Derivatives
Author: denisbin
Description:
St Pauls Passionist Monastery church and gardens Urrbrae Adelaide. This acreage was originally owned by Arthur Hardy of nearby Claremont House. In 1847 part of his property was sold to Joseph Montefiore and he planted the giant Moreton Bay Fig around the time be built a grand two storey residence called the Glen. In 1855 the residence and property passed to the Boothby family of judges and writers. Members of the Boothby family remained there until it was sold to the Passionist Brothers in 1896 for use as a monastery. At the same time a new residence or bishop’s palace for the Adelaide Bishop was built across the road from the monastery in 1897. This was handed over to the Carmelite nuns in 1935. Meantime across Cross Road Glen House was demolished in 1927 and the new St Paul the Cross Catholic Church was built that year on its site. It opened in 1928. The architect was Herbert Jory who had many commissions for the Catholic Church in South Australia at that time. A new monastery was attached to the church in 1929 and it was also designed by Herbert Jory in the same Romanesque style with Mediterranean influences such as terracotta tiles, arches, long verandas etc. The Australian Passionist Brothers commissioned 14 Carrera marble statues depicting the station of the cross to be built in 1953 for their Goulburn Monastery in New South Wales. They were created in the Ferndinado Palla Studio in Tuscany. All the figures in the statues are half-life size and weigh at least half a ton. It took six to eight months to complete each finely detailed statue and they were shipped to Australia over several years and then trucked to Goulburn. All had arrived by 1955. Each statue cost around £500, a considerable sum in those days when you could buy a suburban house for around £1,000. The Passionist Brothers sold their Goulburn property in 1974 and the statues were kept in storage. In the year 2000 the marble statues were moved to the Passionist Monastery at Glen Osmond. They are complemented there by beautiful gardens with an air of serenity and peace.

Credit:

Select Image Size
Square 75X75 View Download
Large Square 150X150 View Download
Thumbnail 75X100 View Download
Small 180X240 View Download
Small 320 240X320 View Download
Small 400 300X400 View Download
Medium 375X500 View Download
Medium 640 480X640 View Download
Medium 800 600X800 View Download
Large 769X1024 View Download
Large 1600 1201X1600 View Download
Large 2048 1537X2048 View Download
Original 1901X2533 View Download