Crafers. In the Adelaide Hills. The 1983 Ash Wedensday bushfires destroyed several 19th century mansions. This ivy covored fireplace is all that remains of a cottage in the grounds of Arthurs Seat which was built in 1875.


Related Images

Adelaide. Mitcham. Elphin Road. Polychromatic brick cottage in autumn. Adelaide Hills. Crafers. Arthurs Seat mansion built in 1875 for Henry Smith.  In 1926 became the Stawell boarding and finishing school. Destroyed by 1983 Adelaide Hills bushfires. Stirling. Mount Lofty Summit. Carminow House and tower. Built in 1885 for Sir Thomas Elder. Later owned by Sir Langdon Bonython.Seen from Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens. Crafers in the Adelaide Hills. This transept of the Anglican Church of the Epiphany was built in 1898 and the nave 1879. . Adelaide. Mitcham. The Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in 1880. View on a stormy day.  Became church hall when new adjoining church opened in 1963. Built in Mitcham bluestone. Adelaide Hills. Reflections in the lake in the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens in mid autumn. Adelaide Hills. Mount Lofty Ranges. Crafers. Mount Lofty House was built in 1856. Part of it was destroyed in 1983 bushfires. It became the Mecure Hotel in 1986 when this new part in Gothic style was added to it.  . Adelaide Hills. Mount Lofty Ranges. Autumn and the lake in the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens. Crafers in the Adelaide Hills. Autumn colour in the gardens at the Anglican Church of the Epiphany. Church built in 1879 with additions in 1893 and again in 1898. Crafers in the Adelaide Hills. Petite statue of Jesus in the gardens around the Anglican Church of the Epiphany built from 1879.. Adelaide.  beside Brownwhill Creek. Memorial plaque to South Australia's first Labor  Premier Tom Price. Plaque on stone entrance pillar to Brownhill Creek Reserve. Price lived at Mitcham and is buried in the cemetery there. Adelaide Hills. Mt Lofty Summit. Arthurs Seat mansion built in 1875 for Henry Smith.  In 1926 became the Stawell boarding and finishing school. Destroyed by 1983 Adelaide Hills bushfires. Stirling. In the Adelaide Hills. The Main Street in autumn. Adelaide Hills. Yellow autumn leaves of a Ginkgo tree reflected in the pond in the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens. Mid May 2020. Adelaide Hills. Mount Lofty Ranges. Mount Lofty House was built in 1856. Part of it was destroyed in 1983 bushfires. It became the Mecure Hotel in 1986 when this new part in Gothic style was added to it.  . Crafers in the Adelaide Hills near Mount Lofty summit. The ruins of Arthurs Seat built in 1875. Destroyed by bushfire in 1983. In the 1930s it was used as the exclusive Stawell School for girls. Adelaide. Victoria Square. The 1916 statue of Australian explorer Captain Charles Sturt. Sculptor was Adrian Jones.. Goolwa. Hindmarsh Island monument to Captain Charles Sturt and Captain Collett Barker. Both explorers of the  River Murray and the southern lakes system of South Australia in 1830 and 1831. Crafers. Near Mount Lofty Summit in the Adelaide Hills. Bracken in the living room. The ruins of Arthurs Seat built in 1875. View into a living room from a bay window. Destroyed by bushfire 1983. Crafers in the Adelaide Hills near Mount Lofty summit. The ruins of Arthurs Seat built in 1875. Destroyed by bushfire Ash Wednesday 1983. In the 1930s it was used as the exclusive Stawell School for girls.


License: Creative Commons - Attribution-No Derivatives
Author: denisbin
Description:
Crafers: Arthur’s Seat later the Stawell School. George Tinline, a wealthy pastoralist, investor and manager of the Bank of South Australia from 1839 and brother-in-law of Alexander Borthwick Murray built a cottage on this plot in 1858 before he returned to England in 1863. The unfinished Tinline Court House was sold in 1871 and bought by Gavin Young who employed architects to complete the house in 1875. He named it Arthur’s Seat as the land was originally owned by Arthur Hardy. Later owners included Henry Teesdale Smith before it was purchased in 1926 by Patience Hawker and Mabel Hardy as premises for Stawell School. The school accepted both day and boarding students and the girls were taught to “develop their individuality” through art, literature and music. Traditional subjects of French, Latin, science, history and geography completed the curriculum. The list of girls included some from most of the great pastoral families of SA- Gebhardt, Hawker, Cudmore, Dutton, Bowman, Davenport, Kidman, Melrose, Murray, Robertson etc. In 1927 the school started with 23 pupils but this increased to 40 in the next year. For many the school was both a finishing school and traditional school but with petrol rationing numbers dwindled in 1939 and the school moved from Arthurs Seat to a property in Mills Terrace North Adelaide. The school company ceased operations in 1940. Patience Howard (née Hawker) went on to be the first woman to stand for parliament in SA in 1948 as a Labor Party candidate for the Upper House but she was not successful. When the Stawell School closed in 1940 the property was used as a convalescent home for the Australian Women’s Army Service before it was sold in 1943. It was destroyed in the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires but has public access as it is now owned by the SA government.

Credit:

Select Image Size
Square 75X75 View Download
Large Square 150X150 View Download
Thumbnail 75X100 View Download
Small 180X240 View Download
Small 320 240X320 View Download
Small 400 300X400 View Download
Medium 375X500 View Download
Medium 640 480X640 View Download
Medium 800 600X800 View Download
Large 768X1024 View Download
Large 1600 1200X1600 View Download
Large 2048 1536X2048 View Download
X-Large 3K 2304X3072 View Download
X-Large 4K 3072X4096 View Download
X-Large 5K 3672X4896 View Download
Original 3672X4896 View Download