License: Creative Commons - Attribution Author: Ray in Manila
This Piazza Michelangelo was designed by architect Giuseppe Poggi and built in 1869 on a hill just south of the historic centre, during the redevelopment of Oltrarno, the left (South) bank of the Arno river. In 1869, Florence was the capital of Italy and the whole city was involved in an urban renewal, the so-called "Risanamento" or the "Rebirth" of the city's neighbourhoods. Lungarni (riverside walkways; "lungarno", singular) were built on the riversides. The Piazzale Michelangelo which was built as a terrace with a panoramic view of the city.
The view captures the heart of Florence from Forte Belvedere to Santa Croce, across the lungarni and the bridges crossing the Arno, including the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, the Bargello and the octagonal bell tower of the Badia Fiorentina. Beyond the city are the hills of Settignano and Fiesole.
This is 2 photos stitched together, both taken with a Canon EF-S 24mm lens.