License: Creative Commons - Attribution-No Derivatives Author: William Franklin
This is the medical bay in the Platterhof/Gästehaus bunker, part of an elite series of air raid tunnels used by the Nazi's in 1943.
This network of tunnels could be navigated for miles in the mountainside of Obersalzberg near Berchtesgaden in Bavaria, Germany. They connected every building and residence of Nazi commanders beneath the RSD headquarters at Haus Türken and into the high hill near Göring's house.
The bunker systems were multi-leveled, lined with concrete and bricks. Most were associated with power, heating, and ventilation systems, and fed with positive air pressure to prevent a chemical or gas attack. Inside the tunnels were command posts, generators, food, fuel and residence for a military staff of hundreds. Entrances and emergency exits were covered by protected machine gun positions, making it virtually impossible for enemies to approach on foot.
Reichsleiter Martin Bormann ordered the construction of the tunnels in 1943, when the war over the Reich became a reality. They survived a missed air raid by the Royal Air Force bombing on 25 April 1945.